Friday 5 May 2017

Hymnal Friday: Higher Ground



This hymn has been a favorite with many Christians since it was first published in 1898. It expresses so well this universal desire for a deeper spiritual life, continuing on a higher plane of fellowship with God than we have ever before  experienced..
      
The author of this stirring text was Johnson Oatman, Jr., a businessman who wrote 3,000 gospel songs in his leisure time.  Oatman was ordained by the Methodist Episcopal denomination but never pastored a church.  His Hymns were always well received, even though he was paid no more than $1.00 for each of his texts.
       

Higher Ground

      
(1) I'm pressing on the upward way,
      New heights I'm gaining every day;
      Still praying as I'm onward bound,
    "Lord, plant my feet on higher ground."
      
 Lord, lift me up and let me stand
By faith on heaven's table-land,
A higher plane than I have found:
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.
      
(2)  My heart has no desire to stay
      Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
     Though some may dwell where these abound,
     My prayer, my aim is higher ground.
      
(3)  I want to live above the world,
      Though Satan's darts at me are hurled;
      For faith has caught the joyful sound,
      The song of saints on higher ground.
      
(4)   I want to scale the utmost height
        And catch a gleam of glory bright;
       But still I'll pray, 'til heaven I've found
      "Lord, lead me on to higher ground."




0 comments:

Post a Comment